GWN's Fitness Thread

How often are you hitting gels and whatnot? I’ve settled on the apple/banana squeezie and down one every 4-5 miles on the long runs.
Still playing with the frequency. The 14 miles was the first time I’ve done two. I took one down at 5.5 and one at 11 but I will shorten that up this weekend for the 16 given how poorly I finished. I will probably go 4/8/12 Saturday.

I won’t take any on the 5 or 6.5 runs. I realized 20 oz of water isn’t going to cut it so not sure what my new hydration plan will be.

Still playing with the frequency. The 14 miles was the first time I’ve done two. I took one down at 5.5 and one at 11 but I will shorten that up this weekend for the 16 given how poorly I finished. I will probably go 4/8/12 Saturday.

I won’t take any on the 5 or 6.5 runs. I realized 20 oz of water isn’t going to cut it so not sure what my new hydration plan will be.
I don’t do any on runs shorter than double digits. I filled the bladder with 1L of water on my last run and found that I had enough to take a good swig on every mile for 16 miles. I’ll be topping it off going forward. It’s not that much weight and the vest is comfortable.

Little bit of a weird run situation today...I’m doing an Honor Run this morning with my co-workers where we honor this years fallen officers. It’s only two miles, but we run it in our ballistic vests. I’m going to transition straight from that run to another 14 miles without the vest on to get my 16 done.

The honor run will be a slow pace with a stop at our fallen officer memorial, but like I said, we’ll have vests on. Anyways, this won’t be a good gauge of pace or time today, but I’ll still get the miles in.

We got a set of those Normatec leg compression sleeves at work. Holy shit they are amazing...but they’re $1000.

Slightly concerned at the lack of an update by @TBreazy
Took it out slow, felt great. Little after 13 miles I tried to push the pace and my quad started cramping. Immediately put down the little remaining water I had left and backed off. Less than a mile later my right quad joined the fun. I stopped and stretched but couldn’t accomplish much and didn’t have anymore fluids. I ended up getting 15 in before running became too counterproductive. Little conflicted on today’s results cause I feel like I would have cruised to 16 without accelerating.

That’s what I’m talking about Breeze. I know it’s not exactly the results you wanted, but it sounds like with the right fluids you can get there

Took it out slow, felt great. Little after 13 miles I tried to push the pace and my quad started cramping. Immediately put down the little remaining water I had left and backed off. Less than a mile later my right quad joined the fun. I stopped and stretched but couldn’t accomplish much and didn’t have anymore fluids. I ended up getting 15 in before running became too counterproductive. Little conflicted on today’s results cause I feel like I would have cruised to 16 without accelerating.
I’m certainly no expert but you might consider increasing electrolytes and such in your hydration if you don’t have that built in already. I just ordered some stuff called Tailwind that’s supposed to be the shit.

I continue to struggle with a tight right calf and tight right groin. I’ve got to do some serious work on stretching / foam rolling.

Members online

No members online now.
Back