Wu's very own recruiting thread.

Although numerous quarterbacks from the 2015 class have come off the board by committing to other schools, the Tennessee staff is after several talented field generals and nearly every rising senior with a scholarship is expected on campus this month.

Due to travel, IT wasn’t able to confirm with recent offer Quinten Dormady, but he was expected to arrive at Tennessee for his second unofficial visit this year on Thursday morning. The Texan that got an Alabama offer this week flew under the radar after missing last fall due to a serious shoulder injury.

Five-star quarterback Torrance Gibson cut more teams from his list of consideration and named Auburn a co-leader with the Volunteers. The left-hander told IT that he’s flying to Rocky Top on Friday and plans to stay until Tuesday. He added that he’s been fully informed with the numbers situation (two scholarship QBs scheduled to return for 2015) in light of Riley Ferguson’s decision to leave.

Sheriron Jones is Scout's No. 14 triggerman in the nation and hails from Rancho Verde (Calif.) High School. Quarterbacks coach Mike Bajakian's efforts have west continue to show results as he's left enough impression to get yet another Golden State standout to trip across country to check out Tennessee. The four-star should get to Knoxville on Friday and will go onto Gainesville, Fla., after.

Moving up the rankings to No. 6 but staying in California, four-star Travis Waller plans to see Tennessee for himself on June 22. The timing of his trip should allow him to meet several players he would suit up alongside should he join the Orange & White.

Tennessee is in the top 6 of the No. 18 QB, Deondre Francois. The IMG Academy student says he will head north from Bradenton, Fla., this summer to see what the Vols have on the table for him.

Like Dormady, an injury kept three-star Sam Darnold off the radar of many this calendar year, but Tennessee isn’t a school shy in showing its interest in the unranked talent. Darnold told IT he will visit from San Clemente, Calif., to Tennessee on June 28.

The plan remains to sign two ’15 quarterbacks. The odds of both coming from this aforementioned group is substantial.

Other prospects to keep in mind that Tennessee currently sits great with include, but not limited to, three-star offensive tackle Austin Clark, four-star wide receiver Van Jefferson, four-star runner Bryce Love, five-star defensive tackle Kahlil McKenzie, three-star linebacker Quarte Sapp and four-star defender D’Andre Walker. Clark (June 12) and McKenzie (July 10) have public declarations scheduled and it’d be a considerable upset to see either declare for anyone aside from the Vols.

The latter part of next week is when Tennessee will welcome prospects in droves with Junior/Senior Camp running June 12-16. Possibly the premier date of the summer to keep in mind falls on June 21 as the staff hosts its “Orange Carpet Weekend” with commitments, families and many prime targets invited to The Hill.

Mike Weber is a four-star prospect rated the No. 15 running back in the nation. The Detroit native still has Tennessee in his top 5 but the Vols are slightly behind a trio of Michigan State, Ohio State and Wisconsin. He's visited Rocky Top twice already.

Christian Kirk is a four-star and the No. 4 wide receiver in the nation. This week, Arizona's best pass-catcher released a Top 10 that included Tennessee.

D.J. Jones*keeps nudging his way toward a four-year college destination.

The Scout four-star prospect is one of the nation’s most highly sought after interior defensive lineman. On Sunday, he revealed a top 10 that stakes the*Tennessee*Volunteers as his top school.

The sophomore defensive tackle at East Mississippi Community College says the Tennessee staff’s being on him through his academic issues on the prep level continues to keep the top of all lists painted orange.

“I really felt like they deserved it seeing how they’ve been with me since Day 1,” Jones told InsideTennessee. “When I had problems in high school, they stayed with me, and they’ve continued to recruit me hard.”

Jones visited Tennessee earlier this summer and said “a lot of things” stood out.

“Being with the head coach all day and him basically being my tour guide, then just getting to talk with him. Just sitting down with Steve Stripling the defensive line coach, sitting down talking some ball. Seeing the facilities and just seeing Tennessee as a whole. It was great.”

Joining the Orange & White in his top 10 (in order) are*Alabama,*Clemson,*South Carolina,*Auburn,*USC,*Florida State,*Ole Miss,*Florida*and*Georgia.

“The coach was the difference, my defensive line coach,” Jones said of how he got down to 10. “I just went through and saw who I had good relationships with. I have a good relationship with all these coaches. I felt it was time to make that top 10.”

The 6-foot-2, 310-pounder out of Wren (S.C.) High School plans to trim again down to a top 5 at the “beginning of the season” with an “early December” date set for public declaration before enrolling in January.

Jones says he does not know exact dates but Florida State and Tennessee will receive two of his allotted five official visits.

Guess I'll be that guy... How good is Dormady?

I love the fact that we (might) beat out saban and Kiffin for him. But how good is he

Skills Ratings by 247:
Size9.00 out of 10 9
Arm Strength8.00 out of 10 8
Accuracy8.00 out of 10 8
Delivery8.00 out of 10 8
Feet7.00 out of 10 7
Reactive Quickness7.00 out of 10 7
Pocket Presence8.00 out of 10 8
Intangibles9.00 out of 10 9

Guess I'll be that guy... How good is Dormady?

I love the fact that we (might) beat out saban and Kiffin for him. But how good is he

His senior year will be telling for him.

Good film for a sophomore, don't know how he's progressed.

When explaining his decision to become aTennessee*Volunteer,*Quinten Dormady*uses the word “huge” time and time again.

Part of that “huge” declaration in becoming a part of Big Orange Country is the path the Boerne (Texas) High School talent had to take as surgery to repair his right shoulder caused him to miss all of the 2013 season. At a position that requires full range of motion to power the football downfield with an unnatural motion, that could be a devastating injury.

Thanks to the brilliance of modern medicine and the work ethic to see his dreams realized, Dormady has a chance to not only extend his football career beyond the prep ranks but to do so at a Southeastern Conference university.

The Scout three-star prospect and No. 30 QB in the nation says he came to the decision after a second trip to Knoxville came last week.

“I just felt like it was a good fit for me to go there, and I like the coaches there,” Dormady told InsideTennessee. “I just like everything about it.”

It was arguably Tennessee’s greatest rival that finished second in the running to land the 6-foot-4, 215-pounder.

“Toward the end, I just kind of narrowed it down to Alabama and Tennessee,” Dormady said. “Those were the two that I was debating between.

“I just felt like that (Tennessee opportunity) was a fit, and I want to be a part of something that’s growing and building to win a national championship. I want to be a part of that.

“I went to Alabama earlier in the week and they offered me at their camp. I visited and did that. I really wanted to get back up to Tennessee because I really liked it when I was there over spring break. So that intrigued me. Once I got up there and was around it and got back into the environment, I really felt like that’s where I should be. So, later last week is when I really felt like that’s where I was going to end up.”

Tennessee head coach Butch Jones, offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian and the rest of the staff didn’t have the typical reaction that sometimes comes with news of a commitment.

“I think they were a little shocked at first but they were as excited as I am,” said Dormady, who informed Vols coaches Monday afternoon of his decision. “It will be a fun college experience.”

Jones and Bajakian played pivotal roles in landing the Class of 2015 signal-caller.

“They were definitely a huge factor,” Dormady said. “I felt comfortable around them and those are great men. They’ve got great character. That’s who I want to surround myself with to become a better person and later down the road a better husband and father. They were definitely a huge part of it.”

While on The Hill last week, Dormady started developing a relationship with current players as well as other 2015 commits.

“I’ve gotten to know some of the kids that are there right now and then last night I talked to a couple of the kids that are in my class. So, I’m getting there, getting to know them,” Dormady said.

“It was just getting back up there, kind of hanging out and getting around the guys and that kind of stuff. That was probably the biggest thing that I went there for.

“I hung out with (Tennessee freshman tight end) Ethan (Wolf) up there, and he’s a great guy. There’s definitely some kids that I’ve gotten to know when I was up there.”

With Riley Ferguson transferring and*Justin Worley*graduating after the 2014 season, Tennessee is scheduled to have two scholarship quarterbacks return in 2015. Dormady would make No. 3 if he signs. However, the right-hander said depth chart wasn’t a difference-maker.

“It wasn’t a huge factor,” Dormady said. “I kind of knew what was happening with Ferguson leaving and then (Joshua) Dobbs and (Nathan) Peterman being the only ones there. Like I said, I just wanted to be a part of something that’s building to be great.”

With the recruiting process behind him, the Texan can concentrate on doing big things in his final prep season at Boerne High with his father and second-year head coach Mike Dormady leading the way.

“That’s huge,” said Quinten, who will lead the Greyhounds’ Spread attack. “I kind of have felt kind of bad because I was actually supposed to be back on Saturday playing in a 7-on-7 tournament and I couldn’t make it. It’s actually good to be back around the team, back around the guys that I’ll play my senior year with and just focus on that and trying to get a state championship there.”

Dormady plans to take an official visit to Tennessee this fall and enroll in classes in Knoxville in January.

Early enrollees are the recruiting version of 2 out hits

Also... Someone who I could see being a casualty and free up some numbers... Ladarrel

How TF do we lead for him? Butch is the damn man.

Having 2 QB's, already, I have no clue how this plays out. Just get him on the team, though.

It's a little bit silly. Maybe he's seeing the potential at WR.. idk

thought it was funny he said "yeah, we just hung out, we didn't talk about football or anything."

that's prolly cause the coaches don't know the answer to those questions.

Yep. Staff may just be selling him on making noise at QB and at WR.

Diamond Deshields and Alvin Kamara are boo thangs?

Solid development.

Coconut Creek (Fla.) High School and North Marion (Fla.) High School both had a large contingent of campers on campus Thursday. Miami (Fla.) running back commit Dexter Williams is Scout’s No. 108 player in the ’15 class and was joined by several more Sunshine State prospects.

Another Floridian left town earlier Thursday. That prospect being five-star quarterback Torrance Gibson. As mentioned in the home page article on the southpaw signal-caller, Tennessee re-secured its spot as the clear leader for his services, nudging Auburn out of the co-lead. Gibson spent almost 6 days on Rocky Top for his second unofficial visit of the year. It’s near impossible to think that the FHSAA state champion won’t return for at least a third time on an official visit before he declares his intentions.

Gibson’s being return trip to Knoxville and eating at Hooter’s and Moe’s nearly kept the headlines over another quarterback, Quinten Dormady, committing to Tennessee.

Questions from some IT site members arose after learning of the three-star Dormady’s surgically repaired throwing shoulder.

“It’s holding up good. It’s holding up really good; I’m happy,” he told IT. “I think there’s definitely some room to where I could get some velocity back but by no means am I worried at all how I am right now. I’m really happy. There’s always a little bit that you can gain. Even when I get to college there’s going to be offense that can be gained.”

One current Volunteer chose not to have Dr. James Andrews perform a surgery to repair an injury while in high school. Dormady could have gone with a local surgeon in Texas but opted for Andrews.

“That was huge,” Dormady said. “That was the big reason that we went there and had him do it because we knew that he was going to do a great job and get me back as soon as I could and get me as strong as I could. So, that was definitely huge.”

As mentioned in multiple volumes of Gate 21, three-star linebacker Austin Smith is one of the South’s most underrated players. The Buford (Ga.) High School standout told IT of a top 4 months ago but has since extended that to a top 5, however, the Vols and LSU lead for his services. Dates to keep in mind with the ‘backer are visits to Rocky Top on June 14 (if not taking the ACT) and June 21 (Orange Carpet) and an announcement date of Aug. 1. While his father favors LSU, his mother has long since wanted him at Tennessee. Stay tuned.

Quentez Johnson provided news to IT on Thursday as the three-star defensive tackle and former Miami commitment declared Tennessee his leading school. At least two other interior defenders —*five-star Kahlil McKenzie and four-star JUCO D.J. Jones —*have Tennessee at least as their co-leader and leader, respectively. Five-star Tim Settle says Clemson overtook the Orange & White atop his board. Four-star Shy Tuttle made his fourth trip to Knoxville last week but phone tag has prevented IT from getting a proper read on where the Vols stand there.

Three-star JUCO cornerback Justin Martin camped at Tennessee on Thursday and clocked a pair of laser-timed 40s in the 4.42 range. With ample size at 6-2, 179, burner speed and likely three years of eligibility after this fall, Martin finds himself as a prime target. Ole Miss is the top competition to land the former Overton High School standout.

Robert Washington is Scout’s No. 10 running back in the country amongst rising juniors. The Tar Heel State standout visited Tennessee on Thursday. The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder boasts over 30 offers but says he will concentrate on about half that many in a soon-to-be-released top 15. The feeling is that the Vols have a quality chance to make the cut.

Roquan Smith is Scout’s No. 4 middle linebacker in the nation and is among a group of lengthy prospects expected in town this weekend. Also on that list are three-star offensive linemen Alex Givens and Jack Shutack. IT will have plenty more coming.

Four-star cornerback Cameron Ordway of Pulaski and three-star middle linebacker Te’Von Coney of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., released top 10 lists this week and both included Tennessee.

Three-star linebacker Josh Smith of Murfreesboro announced a top 4 that did not include the Vols and will make a declaration at The Opening. He is expected to join his brother Emmanuel at Vanderbilt.

Jocquez Bruce*admitted it was one of the best moments of his life.

The Volunteer State native did enough during a summer workout to pick up an offer from*Tennessee, fulfilling a lifelong dream.

“I don’t even know what to say, man,” Bruce told InsideTennessee. “I about cried when he offered me to be honest. It’s really a blessing because I prayed, I prayed, I prayed. I’ve been waiting seven months for this, and I finally got it. So, I’m really happy.”

How the South Doyle High School two-way talent received the offer from Tennessee head coach Butch Jones while on The Hill came as a surprise.

“I went in coach Butch’s office and we started talking about my life and stuff and my childhood. Then, he asked me, he said, ‘Do you think you have what it takes to play in the SEC?’ I said, ‘yes.’ He said, ‘Why do you think that?’ I said, ‘I just have a lot of confidence in myself and I try to be the best I can be at whatever I do.’ It looked like he didn’t like my answer at first so I was like, ‘Aw man, I just made him mad.’ Then he said, ‘All right, I’ll talk to you later.’ Then, he got up and shook my hand and said, ‘By the way, you just earned yourself a scholarship to the University of Tennessee.’ The biggest smile came over my face. I felt relief; it was awesome.”

The orange and white lifestyle has been a part of Bruce’s upbringing for as long as he can remember.

“I used to sell tickets outside the stadium with my step-daddy,” Bruce said. “I was about 5 (when saw first home Tennessee game). I grew up with orange in my blood.

“I love the community around there. The fans, they love the players. I just love it. I grew up with it. I just love it.”

A scholarship doesn’t mean a guaranteed verbal commitment to Tennessee.

“I don’t even know if I want to commit yet. I just want to let it sink in. I think I’m going to wait a little bit. I’m just going to focus on my team and winning a state championship,” he said.

South Doyle coach Clark Duncan played his college football at Tennessee and told Bruce he’d prefer if his stud wound up on Rocky Top: “If it’s up to me (Duncan) and coach Graham, think orange,” Bruce said.

The Seymour resident competed at several positions at Saturday’s camp in Knoxville.

“I think I performed well,” the 5-foot-10, 165-pounder said. “I didn’t perform my best at my normal position at running back. Then, they went over and told me to play a little DB. While I was doing that, they like what they seen. I had nice footwork and stuff. Then, they tried me out at slot receiver and that’s when I really caught their eye. They like my ability to make people miss and my quickness and my hands and stuff. They said I’m the type of player they like at Tennessee.”

Tennessee coaches could use the playmaker in a variety of ways, most likely in similar fashion to how West Virginia utilized*Tavon Austin*with jet motion and bubble screens.

“I’m kind of upset that I’m not going to be with coach (Robert) Gillespie because that’s my position running back but I don’t care,” said Bruce, who clocked his fastest 40-yard dash time ever in the 4.5 range. “I got a scholarship to the University of Tennessee. I’ll play anywhere. I’ll play on the line.”

Cincinnati,*Memphis*and Middle Tennessee are other schools of interest but the Volunteers forged in front today.

Plans to see other college campuses are not in the works as Bruce talked about the expenses of the unofficial visits. He carries a 2.8 grade point average and scored an 18 on the ACT. He hopes to major in physical training.

“I don’t really have any top schools,” saidBryce Love. “But*Tennessee,*Stanford, UNC, NC State and ECU – those are just schools that are going to make my list for sure when I decide to narrow it down. The other main schools I’m looking at are*Georgia,*Florida,Virginia Tech*and*Wake Forest.”

His most recent visit was to an in-state school.

“The last place I went was NC State,” said the 5-foot-10, 177-pound Love. “It was a good trip. I got to sit down with people from the academic department. I enjoyed learning about the academic side of the school.”

Some have assumed Love will stay close to home. However, that may not be the case.

“Location doesn’t really mean that much to me,” he said. ”I’m really open to all the schools right now.”

He has a timeline for his recruitment.

“I’m probably going to narrow my list down sometime soon after I take a couple more visits,” he said. “I’m going to get to Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. I might also go back to Virginia Tech and maybe Wake Forest. And I’ll probably get back to*North Carolinaand NC State.

“I’ll probably have it cut down to six or seven late in July. From there, I’ll probably just make my decision sometime in the middle of football season.”

During his junior season, Love averaged nearly 11 yards per carry and rushed for 1,973 yards and 26 touchdowns.

Butch Jones already talks about him as a Heisman Trophy winner. The athlete already talks about playing in a college town that can prepare him for some NFC North-style weather.

Is*Devonaire Clarington*good enough to warrant Heisman and NFL conversations heading into his senior year of high school? Apparently so.

Clarington is a 6-foot-6, 225-pounder from Westminster Christian Academy in Miami who oozes pro potential. The question is: Will he be All-Pro at receiver, tight end or defensive end?

Some college coaches see him staying at his current weight and playing receiver. Some see him adding 20 pounds and playing tight end. Some see him adding 30 pounds and playing defensive end.

“I have a lot of options,” Clarington told InsideTennessee.

He got that right. In addition to three positional options he has a ton of college options. When IT asked how many scholarship offers he has, he estimated “35 or 40,” then admitted, “I don’t keep track anymore.”

That’s understandable. Guys with his kind of size and athleticism don’t come along every day. That’s why Scout has him rated the No. 7 tight end and No. 157 overall prospect in the Class of 2015. And that’s why*Tennesseewas thrilled to get him on campus for this weekend’s camp. The fact he thoroughly enjoyed himself is gravy.

“I love the campus,” he said. “And the weather is great.”

After a pause, he added: “I still need to go to a state where it’s a little chilly, so I can get ready for the NFL. No matter where I go it’s going to be snowing at some point in the NFL.”

Clarington also wants to pick a college program that utilizes its tight end in multiple ways, helping prepare him for the NFL. He described Tennessee’s use of the tight end as “nice.”

Although he has played receiver most his life, Clarington believes he probably has outgrown that position in the eyes of many recruiters.

“They don’t like receivers that are tall, really,” he said. “They like receivers that are like 6-1 or 6-2 and run a 4.3 or 4.4. I’m not that dude. I’m not a freak. Well … I’m a freak but I’m not a (Tampa Bay Bucs star) Tommy Streeter that’s 6-5 and runs a 4.3. I’m not that dude. I’m more of a possession receiver. I’m more of a threat at tight end because a linebacker cannot stick with me … cannot run with me.”

Even without running a 4.3 in the 40, Clarington can put a defense on high alert.

“I can change a defense; that’s what I’ve been doing my whole life,” he said. “If you line me up outside and they (opponent) put two people over there, OK, throw to somebody else.”

Clarington, who says the hometown Miami Hurricanes are recruiting him the hardest, plans to announce his college choice during the U.S. Army All-American game. Apparently, the Big Orange has a shot. He admits being impressed by the number of first-round draft picks Tennessee has produced and the fact 100,000 fans show up for some home games.

“Miami doesn’t have that,” he said. “They don’t have 100,000; they probably have like 40,000. I ain’t trying to talk down Miami – they produce tight ends – but I’m trying to see this season right now.”

He said his 35-40 offers include*Alabama,Oregon, Tennessee and*USC, adding that he’s looking at “all of the*Florida*schools,” plus some schools in the East and the Midwest.

Working with both tight ends coach Mark Elder and receivers coach Zach Azzanni kept Clarington busy and entertained on Friday. He felt he bonded with both Vol assistants.

“It was a great vibe,” he said. “Everything went well. I didn’t feel like I didn’t belong here. I felt like I fit in.”

Clarington recalled his conversation with Tennessee’s head coach as brief but memorable:

“He said, ‘You’ve got to do what you’ve got to do. I want you to win the Heisman … be The Man in this offense.’”

Because he always fancied himself a wide receiver, Clarington says he looked up toRandy Moss, never really following the elite tight ends. Asked if he would consider being a pass-rushing defensive end, one of the highest-paid positions in pro ball, he nodded.

“I’ve thought about it,” he said. “If it comes down to that point where I could play D-end, I could put on some weight. I’ve already got my speed. It might come down to that point.

“I’ve got a lot of options. That’s why I’m one of the top-rated kids in high school: I can play both ways. I can get down (at defensive end). I can bigger. I can do all of that.”

And he can do it all well enough that “35 or 40” schools are clamoring for his services.

Dexter Williams*has visited several schools in the last few days including*Louisville,*Ohio State,*Cincinnati,*Kentucky, and nowTennessee. The*Miami*commitment was very impressed by what he saw in Knoxville.

“It was just a lot of love. I got to watch the camp for a little bit, then I did a campus tour and was quite surprised by what Tennessee had. It was just so beautiful. Some of the stuff I saw was unbelievable. Just the love that I saw that they had for*Peyton Manning, it was just crazy,” Williams said.

The Winter Garden (Fla.) West Orange standout had a lot to say about all he saw in Tennessee. He was very impressed by everything going on in the Volunteers program.

“I fell in love with the locker rooms, but I feel more in love with the indoor facility. It was just beautiful. It was a big turf field, then you could see all the coaches’ rooms, and they had the DJs going. It was real live. I got a chance to see all the football players and how they were acting, they were just so live,” he said.

“The best part to me, was the weight room. There was just so much orange everywhere and they had the fueling station in the back, it was just crazy.”

The four-star back was able to get to know the Volunteers coaches a bit. He said they made it clear that he is a high priority for them in the 2015 class.

“They said I’m a big part of this program, actually a top recruit for them. They want me to come up more and more so I can build a better relationship and see how they coach and see how the program is run even more. They hope I will commit and play for the Vols,” Williams said.

Williams remains committed to the Hurricanes but he’s been clear that he’ll take visits and look into things. He raved about his Ohio State visit and now Tennessee is right there in the race too.

“Tennessee, they’re there. It was just crazy, I wasn’t expecting all of that. They’re there,” he said.

“I’m definitely still thinking about Miami. I’m committed there, it was my first offer, and it’s close to home. At the same time, I’m starting to get a feel for these places that are outside of*Florida, but Miami is still there.”

Williams visits*South Carolina*Friday and then will see*Clemson*before heading home.

Members online

No members online now.
Back