Wu's very own recruiting thread.

I'm so glad wU replaced Scotty as the recruiting informant. Those were slim days

Scout five-star defensive tackle Tim Settle announcing on Thursday that Tennessee leads was somewhat surprising. The Virginian has had the Vols in his top group for some time but to have the Big Orange at No. 1 overall is obviously quite positive. Look for Tennessee to host the interior threat for an official visit this winter.

Sterling Johnson is the second-highest rated defensive tackle in the Tar Heel State. The four-star continues to say Tennessee leads. Here’s what the 6-5, 270-pounder said as to why: "With Tennessee, I like everything about them. Their program is on the rise. They lost three games by a field goal or less. Then, they're graduating three players at my position, which will give me a better chance for early playing time.”

The transfer of Jason Carr makes adding more than two D-tackles that much more important for the 2015 class. Of course, that need could alter if summer-enrolling signees show they can be productive quickly this fall.

Five-star defensive end Keisean Lucier-South cut over a dozen teams pursuing him with offers on the table from his consideration. Still standing is Tennessee, although a trip from California to Knoxville is yet to be determined.

Chris Clark has been the top tight end target for Tennessee for the entire calendar year and now our Scout network agrees with the orange-clad staff, making the Connecticut resident the No. 1-rated tight end in the nation. After being committed to North Carolina for a blink of an eye, the five-star has his process fairly open and a summer visit to check out things on The Hill is of great importance.

Alex Ofodile is a four-star prospect and the top-rated wideout in Missouri. The son of a gridiron great has expressed clear interest in being a Volunteer and visited unofficially this spring. Ofodile says he will announce a top 10 in early June with a top 5 coming later in the month. Presently, Tennessee is expected to make both cuts.

Another of recruiting coordinator Zach Azzanni’s top targets at receiver came off the board a couple weeks ago when Calvin Ridley committed to Alabama. However, keep an eye on the top pass-catcher in Arkansas,K.J. Hill. The four-star laser-timed a 4.59 with a 3.93 shuttle in Dallas last weekend. At 6-1, 190 with speed and quickness like that, Hill could be extremely tough to cover on the collegiate level.

Azzanni continues to aim high and has kept in contact (with the help of Terry Fair) with Arizona's best college prospect —*Christian Kirk. The No. 35 player in the United States and four-star wideout says he hopes to visit Tennessee this year.

Five-star wide receiver commit Preston Williams is Azzanni's most important target. The Lovejoy, Ga., resident said Thursday, "I'm closing my options!!! #VFL no other schools!" That’s underrated news for the future of the Tennessee passing game if it holds up. Along those lines, given the effort he’s spent on getting Williams to Knoxville, keeping Azzanni on staff is vital. Williams has potential to start at Tennessee as a true freshman (regardless of who’s on campus already) and be a first-round selection in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Jerome Baker is the No. 2-rated junior in Ohio and now the No. 6 outside linebacker in the nation. Baker visited Rocky Top last month. He says he will announce a top 10 next week but won’t make a public declaration until after his senior season.

Dechaun Holiday is the No. 13 cornerback in the country and a four-star prospect. The Mission Hills (Calif.) High School defender plans to trip to Knoxville this summer. To date, the 6-2, 190 corner has only visited Pac-12 schools.

Three-star quarterback Sam Darnold got his Vols offer on Thursday and calls coordinator Mike Bajakian “awesome.” In a conversation with IT just hours after hearing about the grant opportunity, the 6-foot-4, 208-pounder pointed at Tennessee as his most impressive offer to date. The Californian hopes to visit on June 7 (as does sophomore offer-holding quarterback Jack Allison).

Three more signal-callers with Tennessee offers came off the board in the last 10 days as four-stars Brady White (Arizona State), Brandon Wimbush (Penn State) and Lorenzo Nunez (South Carolina) all made public declarations. The plan is still to ink a pair of triggermen from the ’15 group. Remember, five-star Torrance Gibson continues to have the Vols as his leader and four-star Zach Gentry has Tennessee in his top 4 with Texas coming on extremely strong.

Vols in-state targets Cameron Ordway and A.J. Morris continued a recent trend of recruits saying Tennessee’s coaching staff simply recruits better than most. Ordway, a class of 2015 four-star cornerback, credits Tennessee’s recruiting success to the staff’s perseverance and approachability.

“You can tell they just want you, man,” Ordway told IT. “They work hard. You can tell. They hit me up more than any other school and I talk to guys like (Kyle Phillips) and stuff and they do the same. It’s good to know you’re wanted.

“When you talk, they don’t, I mean, they aren’t like parents or anything. They give it to you straight but are really friendly. I feel like I can talk to them about anything.”

Morris, a class of 2016 wideout, believes it’s the staff’s passion for their product that separates them from the pack.

“I guess sometimes it’s like coaches have given the same speech a million times and it’s old news to them,” Morris said. “To them, it’s like they love Tennessee more than the fans. It’s awesome. They bleed orange.”

Scout four-star defensive lineman Kyle Phillips still doesn’t have a clear list of leaders, but is open in saying that Ole Miss, Alabama and Tennessee are pursing him hardest and the interest in mutual.

Phillips said all three programs are “neck and neck,” but he did tell IT that he feels “most at home” on Tennessee’s campus, adding that he feels “very, very” comfortable in Knoxville.

Eric Swinney is the No. 19 running back in the nation. He is set to announce between Auburn, Ole Miss and Tennessee. The Vols were first in the door with an offer and kept in touch but the Rebels are being predicted to land the Sandy Creek (Ga.) High School talent.

On the signee front, four-star outside linebacker Christopher Weatherd informed IT that he is fully qualified and has been accepted as a student-athlete on The Hill. The 232-pounder says he’ll be on campus with a majority (if not all) of the 18 remaining members of the 32-man signing class for 2014.

Any of those 18 we're worried about qualifying?

Is kameel jackson set to be a vol? His thread went off the rails.

Any of those 18 we're worried about qualifying?

Is kameel jackson set to be a vol? His thread went off the rails.

Chris Weatherd is only one. He's attending UT and will attempt to walk on. Right now, looks good

Andrew Butcher's dad said we are close to having a commit. Should hear about it soon

Torn. 1/2 of me says at least Bama didn't get him. But then the other 1/2 is really starting to loathe Auburn on almost the Bama level. Oh well, he'll only be around for a year most likely, then jet.

Back