Archer's First Post Discussion Thread.

All team-sports fandom is about the irrationality of rooting for the logo on the jersey rather than the guys who are wearing it.

Somewhat along those lines, I just read this:

@BasebAmerica: When asked which was the best team he had ever played for, Ted Williams replied without hesitation, "The United States Marine Corps."

Go USA forever.

I wasn't actively rooting against them. I didn't and don't care. The entire Winter Olympics could not exist and I wouldn't miss it.

Oh, my bad, I thought you were rooting for the Canadians because you liked Crosby.

Oh, my bad, I thought you were rooting for the Canadians because you liked Crosby.

I don't have a problem with Canada and I like Crosby. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that they won

That USA sent its Japanese-American citizens to concentration camps and regularly lynched black people. It's never been perfect.

Fair enough.

I like to think it use to at least be heading in the right direction though.

Still better than the other options out there. See Ukraine. See the Middle East. See Northern Ireland. Hell show me any world superpower and you can bet they are just as flawed.

Haha ok man

I'm not trying to start a politics forum by stating I don't give a damn whether or not America loses a hockey game to canada.

Fair enough.

I like to think it use to at least be heading in the right direction though.

The impression I get is that life in the US back then sucked for pretty much everybody. The country was just emerging from a crushing decade-long depression. Everybody other than white men [1] were marginalized. Almost the whole south was still poor and backwards and barefoot. Even being rich probably wasn't that great because tax rates on the wealthy were over 90 percent.

The postwar boom came along and had changed everything by the mid-1950s, but when those guys went off to fight in the early 1940s, I doubt it felt much at the time like the country was heading in a particularly great direction at all.

[1] EDIT: Straight white Protestant men of Anglo-Saxon heritage, rather

Last edited:
On a related note, is anyone else mildly annoyed by the overly patriotic "merca" screaming bald eagle types?

On a related note, is anyone else mildly annoyed by the overly patriotic "merca" screaming bald eagle types?

Yes, although it's difficult to pinpoint exactly why. Something along the lines of how true patriotism is cheapened when it's expressed in the same tropes as a drunken football tailgate.

A little. I get what you're saying..people who are overly passionate about anything are always going to be mildly annoying. It's good to feel apart of something bigger than yourself though and if Americas your thing then more power to ya is how I feel.

(says the guy who has a giant Uncle Sam hat that he wears to a July 4 cookout every year. As I said, it's difficult to pinpoint.)

Haha ok man

I'm not trying to start a politics forum by stating I don't give a damn whether or not America loses a hockey game to canada.

Atleast it got the heat off me for a minute, mission accomplished!

Members online

No members online now.
Back