Everton d00ds

Nothing is set in stone yet but they also appear about to land Khedira to boot. However it did look a bit more certain just yesterday, now there is talk of Chelsea trying to get in the mix.

I like Kheidra, that dude is a tackle machine on FIFA 14 (not that it means anything in real life). Well sh**, I don't watch Barclays enough to keep up with it, so I may back out of my Aston Villa choice and puck someone else. I'm all FC Bayern tho

I like Kheidra, that dude is a tackle machine on FIFA 14 (not that it means anything in real life). Well sh**, I don't watch Barclays enough to keep up with it, so I may back out of my Aston Villa choice and puck someone else. I'm all FC Bayern tho

I'm going to try and watch some Bayern and Juventus games this year.

For me to fully care about all this soccer jazz, someone is gonna have to explain this transfer stuff (and the point of it) to me. Basically they're just selling them right? Why not keep them to try to win?

For me to fully care about all this soccer jazz, someone is gonna have to explain this transfer stuff (and the point of it) to me. Basically they're just selling them right? Why not keep them to try to win?

Because the teams with the most money can drip the bank. A smaller club accepts it, spreads that wealth out to get 3-4 good young players or one prolific player. Or, the owner keeps the guap. It's hard to become elite in soccer tho

And what about loans?

Say Everton has a really good talent, but he won't see a ton of playing time. You can loan him to a team and they pay his wage while he plays for that team. Usually you make a deal to loan him out for a certain amount of time. That way he gets playing time and experience and you can play him for your squad when he is ready. It's essentially like the minor leagues

It's the same motivation as in American sports. Teams sell their good players to avoid losing them for nothing. For example, Everton sold that bastard Marouane Fellaini, then widely regarded as their best player, to Manchester United at the beginning of last season when he had one year left on his contract. They got something like 27 million GBP (!) for a player who had already made it clear he would probably leave after the season. United wanted to buy Leighton Baines too, but Everton refused and were rewarded when Baines signed an extension during the season. Fellani sucked ass all year at United, so happiness all the way around on that one.

In the Premier League, you've got five teams (Man U, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea) who are basically the Yankees/Dodgers/Red Sox/Rangers/etc. They're owned by billionaires and four of those teams play in the Champions League every year, so they are far richer than every other team in the league. For most teams, selling players up makes a lot of sense because A) they need the money and B) hey, it's not like they're going to compete for the title next year even with that guy anyway. So you take the £30 million and let the guy walk a year or two early and go get several promising young guys to replace him.

Everton are in a dicier spot, though. They never play in the Champions League and they're not owned by a billionaire, so they've traditionally been a selling team. But they are always right outside that top group, and if they ever want to move up then clearly they can't be selling their best players to the teams they need to beat.

The next big test for the Blues will be wunderkind Ross Barkely, who has (I believe) two years left on his contract with Everton. They could get probably almost £60 million if they sold him right now. They're going to keep him, which means they've got two years left to convince him his future is at Everton (which probably means getting to the Champions League), cave in and sell him later, or lose him for nothing. It's going to be interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Ha. I went away from the computer while typing that and Wu beat me to it. What he said.

Yeah, unless you get new ownership and that owner is filthy rich, it takes years to get good. You would need to have some damn good scouts to find young players that have loads of potential. They'll sell high, then you continue that process until you have enough money to buy elite players and afford to keep them around, while still getting more young talents. Everton has Ross Barkley who is a young CAM that has great potential. Chelsea can come in, throw the bank, and Everton will do the exact same process it just did to get Ross Barkley with the money they got and save a little bit more each time til they finally have enough. It's one reason why Verc's top 5 he mentioned earlier always stays in the top 5. I'd say if we were to compare Everton to a MLB club, they're actually pretty similar to the Braves, maybe even the A's or Orioles (I know, random).

Boys, it's early enough in my fandom that I am switching over, FOREVERTON.

Also, Brown, Bayern plays the MLS all stars on Aug. 6

Members online

No members online now.
Back