Watched the Double-A club first hand last night.

volsandbraves

I live in Jackson, TN home of the Seattle Mariners Double-A affiliate, the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx. They've been hosting the Mississippi Braves for the last few days. I finally got to the ball park for the first time this year (what a shame).

The Braves SP was Brad Nelson, apparently a spot starter according to the Braves website. He really struggled and got hammered hard. Eventually the Braves lost 8-1.

However, it's not all bad news.

Brandon Jones and Matt Esquivel are the real deal. Those two guys look like major league players, especially Brandon Jones. He didn't have a great night statistically, but it seemed like every ball he hit was a rocket that just so happened to have a Diamond Jaxx fielder nearby. He's going to be good folks. Real good. He's got a smooth stroke and good speed - not necessarily the base-stealing type (he's got 9 steals but also 6 CS on the season). His speed showed up in the outfield too. I'm actually surpised that he doesn't play center. He may well be capable of it. I don't know. If the Braves can't/won't re-sign Andruw, it might be a good idea to start playing Brandon in CF.

I must say, I hope we don't trade Jones. He looks like a future MLB All-Star to me.

Esquivel is a pure power hitter from what his stats show and from what I witnessed last night. He struck out twice last night and appears to have a little bit of the "I refuse to choke up and shorten my swing with two strikes" philosophy that Scott Thorman has made famous for this entire season minus the last week or so. Esquivel does seem to have a good bit of power though - 15 homers so far this season. He's also got 11 steals on the season (only 2 CS so far!). I wouldn't have thought he was a base stealer. In any event, he plays right field and I'm not so sure his future is in Atlanta as long as Mr. Francoeur is around. He might be good trade bait.

Overall, the Double-A ball club is very strong with the aforementioned hitters and Harrison, Asciano, and Devine pitching.

The cupboard is far from bare. The Braves should stay competitive for a long time. I just hope Schuerholz doesn't all of a sudden decide to trade our good prospects for half-season rentals.

Sounds good man, other than the Braves losing. :D I agree on the Brandon Jones part. Hopefully he gets a September callup this year.

Members online

No members online now.
Back