I need somebody to sum up the last week for me

Vercingetorix

I've been at the beach w/o Internet access, and the frau and I never watch TV while we're on vacation. So I missed basically all baseball from when the Phillies series began last Friday night.

Here's what I know so far:

1. Swept by Phillies; took two out of three from the Brewers. Took the first two games from the Cubs in what apparently has been an entertaining meltdown on their part.

2. Chipper on the DL, as (unfortunately) expected. They apparently brought up the Escobar kid -- does that mean (I hope) that they don't think Orr can do the job as a fill-in?

3. Andruw has hit a couple of homers. Slump over with?

Anything else interesting or important that I missed?

exactly what you said. Andruw's balance looks 100x better and is actually spraying the ball opposite field. Our 3,4,5 starters are pitching a little better and staying deeper in the game.

John Smoltz tweaked his shoulder a couple of days ago and may miss a start.

Mike Gonzalez is having Tommy John surgery.

So far in the absence of Chipper, Cox has given Pete Orr, Martin Prado, Yunel Escobar, Chris Woodward and Willie Harris time at 3rd base.

Last edited:
Thanks for the summary. The Smoltz injury is troubling. Chipper's too, but you had to figure that he was headed to the DL at least once during the season -- which is what makes throwing Wilson Betemit away for nothing such a shame. With any luck one of those guys will step up and make it a moot point. And, of course, it would be nice to see Chipper back sooner rather than later.

Still only 3.5 games out, despite being swept by the Phillies. The Braves are hanging in there.

Members online

Back