Grumors

No

That's the kicker

Not necessarily better as a coach (which is why I don’t think it’s a slam dunk even if it does happen) but, specifically from a recruiting standpoint, I think he’d make one helluva lot bigger impact than Lovie.

I would rather roll the dice on Gruden than go with a second-tier candidate like Norvell or Brohm or somebody like that. But if you can get Gary Patterson or Scott Frost? No way. I'd much rather give the Gruden money to somebody like that instead.

I would rather roll the dice on Gruden than go with a second-tier candidate like Norvell or Brohm or somebody like that. But if you can get Gary Patterson or Scott Frost? No way. I'd much rather give the Gruden money to somebody like that instead.

Pretty much where i am.

Gruden would bring a massive influx of energy and excitement and would probably recruit like a MF, at least for awhile. But once he loses a few games then he stops being a celebrity and starts being just another coach.

I would feel better about it if it were EITHER than he hasn't coached in a decade, OR that he's never really coached in college. The fact that it's both means he's got a real uphill climb, no matter how hard he works.

The assistant coaching staff is the key. I’m confident he can assemble one of if not the best in the country.

I like Patterson. I’d do cartwheels if he came to UT. I think I like Frost a lot, too, but let’s be honest...he’s also largely unproven, like a Norvell or Campbell. He would still be in my top five, though, no question. I still feel like, with all things considered, Gruden is the biggest home run out there.

Frost played and worked for a bunch of hall of fame coaches. Frost is a rare HC who's been both an OC and DC. Frost took a team of guys that went 0-12 and two years later has them -- mostly the same guys! -- not only undefeated but absolutely beating the shlt out of everyone. I wouldn't normally put a guy with only two years as a HC in my top tier, but what he's doing at UCF is so far to the right end of the bell curve that I think he's got a legit shot to be, say, Urban Meyer-level great. I would have him #2 behind Patterson, and I might even have him #1 just to keep Florida from getting him.

Frost played and worked for a bunch of hall of fame coaches. Frost is a rare HC who's been both an OC and DC. Frost took a team of guys that went 0-12 and two years later has them -- mostly the same guys! -- not only undefeated but absolutely beating the shlt out of everyone. I wouldn't normally put a guy with only two years as a HC in my top tier, but what he's doing at UCF is so far to the right end of the bell curve that I think he's got a legit shot to be, say, Urban Meyer-level great. I would have him #2 behind Patterson, and I might even have him #1 just to keep Florida from getting him.

Agree on all this. I would point out that the 3 teams prior to the one that went 0-12 went 31-9, so it’s not like he inherited a perennial cellar-dweller. His offense is also a bit quirky, so I’d like to see how it works a little longer-term against more top-tier teams once the book is out on it.

I think he’s special, but there’s some risk there. Just like with any of the rest.

If any of the Patterson stuff is true, I would go tell Gruden to get ****ed and do whatever it takes to get Patterson. I know the high potential Gruden brings, but Patterson is one of the ten best coaches in NCAAF. That's a no-brainer.

And Verc, I'm with you 100% on Scott Frost. I would rather have Frost over Gruden at this point. I just look at career NFL coaches and it's very rare they succeed. Take a look at this list:

Dave Wannstedt
Jim More
Love Smith
Bill Callahan
Al Groh
Bill Walsh

You got Pete Carroll has a success story and that's about it.

I was afraid you were going to say NYYV. Just another dbag who loves the sound of his own voice.

I agree with all regarding Frost-he’s my #1. Agree in theory on Patterson as #2 but I feel like who might be creeping up there in age.

Grudens success level is going to come down to his coaching staff and his ability to manage them and himself in letting them do their jobs. He’s gotta be a figurehead.

If we got any of a group of Gruden-Patterson-Frost-Mullen, I’d be elated. I think any of them can make us successful at a high level again.

I think it is going to get done and have had multiple people tell me something has already been signed but still nothing at all coming from UT. Don't want to say it's done yet until I'm 100% certain but I think it's going to happen.

Also the misinformation that's coming out of the VolStream media is coming directly from the Haslams. Big Jim has told prominent Knoxville media members directly as recently as yesterday that Gruden was not in play, however that was 100% a smokescreen.

Gotta feel like if the answer was yes, we would have heard by now

Hahahaha, the guys on the 8th are still hoping Gruden will say yes

What fscking idiots they are

Members online

Back