Braves Thread March Madness Bracket

I gots no credit card, im a simple fella.

You can open a Paypal account and link it to your bank account. Not optimal but it's better than using your debit card. Using your debit card directly online is asking for it.

I am a cash kind of guy. I don't like the general principle of a credit card. Although I've opened up to the idea lately for gas, groceries, etc.

They can be risky if you don't watch it. Way back in 1995, Mrs Verc and I decided to quit our jobs and move from DC to Atlanta without either of us securing a job down here beforehand. Having no idea how long we'd be without income, we figured we'd just start charging everything a few weeks before the move to keep enough cash to ensure we could pay rent for a couple months. It worked as planned, but we still racked enough credit card debt in ~4 months that it still took us two or three years to pay it off. And that was without doing anything extravagant other than the move itself.

Nowadays we use a credit card for Amazon bonus points, but pay it off every month. I'm a cash guy myself. Not to mention that bartenders are vastly happier when you tip in cash.

Credit cards are really good for you if you have any semblance of self control.

They can be risky if you don't watch it. Way back in 1995, Mrs Verc and I decided to quit our jobs and move from DC to Atlanta without either of us securing a job down here beforehand. Having no idea how long we'd be without income, we figured we'd just start charging everything a few weeks before the move to keep enough cash to ensure we could pay rent for a couple months. It worked as planned, but we still racked enough credit card debt in ~4 months that it still took us two or three years to pay it off. And that was without doing anything extravagant other than the move itself.

Nowadays we use a credit card for Amazon bonus points, but pay it off every month. I'm a cash guy myself. Not to mention that bartenders are vastly happier when you tip in cash.

It doesn't take much from what I've seen from my vantage point. My sister and brother-in-law found that out. Debt in general scares the hell out of me, therefore I've always been hesitant re: credit cards.

If and when I do get a credit card it will be paid off every month as anal as I can be about such affairs.

All that said, as Brown alluded, they can be very beneficial. Especially with all the incentives/rewards offered.

If you have the discipline to live well within a budget, then the completely rational way to go is to get credit card(s) with good incentives and use them to pay for absolutely everything, using different cards to maximize different kinds of purchases, and then sit down at the end of the month and write big checks to pay off everything you bought that month.

We're disciplined enough not to buy anything that we can't immediately pay for, but not so much that we're comfortable charging groceries and gas and toilet paper and beer all month and paying for it all at once. I'm happier watching my bank balance move around.

I buy everything on credit card and pay off the balance every month.

The only thing that isn't paid by credit card is the mortgage.

I'll bow out of this fine contest. Y'all can play for the moneys.

Members online

No members online now.
Back