Them Vols offseason thread

Alan Houston is my first VOL basketball memory, much as Carl Pickens and Heath Shuler were my first VOL football memories. Those guys are forever my favorites. Young Scotty use to do the Pickens high step back and fourth across the living room floor.

So apparently Jason Carr is lazy as chit. Got moved to AJ and Curts workout group and still won't work. Hubbs said he may get moved to OL.

Both Blair and Thomas have really struggled so far. Blair has been absolutely abused during team periods and it's becoming clear Thomas just isn't ready yet.

They are going to do their best to keep Kerbyson at right guard (where he wants to be), but imo by Utah State you will see an o-line of

LG: Jackson
C: Crowder
RG: Wiesman (must become more disciplined)
RT: Kerbyson

LT could honestly be Blair, Gilliam or Kendrick (I guess even Pair is in play). Just an absolute mess. Blair has really struggled and Gilliam has been getting the 2 reps there. Kendrick had a very solid scrimmage last Friday and is most likely going to be moving from RT to LT to see what he can give them there. I think Blair is still the most gifted guy there and will ultimately get the start, but there is reason to be concerned no matter who wins the job.

-manager

Tennessee players and coaches alike will admit that at times last season the Vols’ new up-tempo offense was, well, not so up-tempo.

Correcting that is a major focus this spring.

In attempts to get plays off faster in the upcoming 2014 season, Tennessee is working with a 20-second play clock during spring practice. If the ball is not snapped before time runs out, the entire offense must do up-downs.

Tennessee players seem to like the rushed offensive tempo at practice despite the constant threat of extra cardio work, saying there’s “no excuse” to not operate more quickly in Year 2 of the Butch Jones Era.

“We’ve been in this system a year now,” center Mack Crowder said. “We’re familiar with everything. There’s nothing holding us back now. We want to pride ourselves in getting off the ball and out working teams.”

Added quarterback Joshua Dobbs: “We understand the calls and signals and all the lingo. We’re going to be running a lot faster this season.”

Vols guard Kyler Kerbyson takes things to the next level when talking about the importance of staying true to an up-tempo system, saying Team 118 “must” be faster.

“I just call it like I see it: we’re not as big as (the offensive line) last year. We’re grinders,” Kerbyson told InsideTennessee. “We need to get off and catch some people off guard next season.We don’t want to be standing there just throwing punches. A lot of success depends on it.”

Minus all five 2013 starters, Tennessee’s offensive line will rely heavily on three juniors who project to man the middle of the blocking wall — Crowder, Kerbyson and Marcus Jackson.

Jackson started five games at guard as a freshman in 2011 before being relegated to a reserve role in 2012 and a redshirt year in 2013. Kerbyson, who projects to start at the other guard, has grown tremendously during the past few months. Crowder gained valuable experience as James Stone’s chief backup at center last fall.

Offensive line coach Don Mahoney is encouraged by the three veterans.

“Marcus Jackson is Marcus Jackson in terms of being a positive,” the Vol aide told IT. “He’s very business-like. He’s very serious. He’s extremely intelligent. He’s diligent about what he does, and he’s got the respect of his peers.

“Kyler Kerbyson had a heck of a winter. His body has changed considerably. He’s in really good shape. Mentally, he’s understanding things. Leadership-wise, he’s been really taking hold of things. I’ve been really pleased with what he’s done in terms of bringing along some of the newcomers.

“And Mack Crowder just rolls his sleeves up and goes to work.”

Tennessee’s top four offensive tackles — true freshman Coleman Thomas, JUCO transfer Dontavius Blair, redshirt freshmen Austin Sanders and Brett Kendrick — have never played a snap at the college level. That means Jackson, Kerbyson and Crowder must set a fast pace and a strong example for their youthful line mates to follow.

“The key is their input,” Mahoney said. “Not just what they say but their actions.”

Losing tight ends A.J. Branisel and Brendan Downs to injury this spring is obviously not ideal, but it creates new opportunities for others.

Freshmen and early enrollees Daniel Helm and Ethan Wolf are certainly seeing more important reps with first- and second-team units, but it’s not those two who tight ends coach Mark Elder says is “growing greatly” from the newfound opportunities. It’s redshirt junior Alex Ellis.

Elder admits it’s easy for fans to forget Ellis with the buzz surrounding the highly-recruited newcomers, but adds fans will be familiar with him soon enough.

“We’re expecting big things from Alex. He needs to contribute for us,” Elder said. “So far, he’s delivered. He was hurt last season and is a little behind, but he’s making some strides that I’ve been very impressed with.”

Senior Woody Quinn is another tight end in the Vols’ stable that is seeing more field time with the injuries. However, sources tell IT Quinn is still having a hard time “figuring things out,” adding that he has a long way to go before he contributes on Saturdays.

Tennessee defensive coordinator John Jancek says he’s still “feeling out” which players will contribute in the rotation along the completely rebuilt defensive line, adding that he’s still “very concerned” about replacing all four starters.

Jancek’s not concerned, however, with finding new leadership along the line.

“Not only did we lose all our starters, but our leadership at that spot, too,” Jancek said. “…That’s not a concern, though. (Corey) Vereen and (Jordan) Williams have stepped up big time in that area. We’re taken care of there.”

The Vols return to Haslam Field after given time off for spring break (several players hit the beach) on Tuesday, March 25. The remaining dates are March 27, 29, April 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10 and 12 (Orange & White game).

— Brendan Downs, A.J. Branisel, Drae Bowles, Ryan Jenkins, Trevarris Saulsberry and Brian Randolph were in yellow no-contact jerseys.

— No newcomer has their black stripe removed

— Former Vol Daniel Hood, Herman Lathers and Rod Wilks watched practice from the sideline.

—After stretching, Butch Jones called for the Circle of Life, one-on-one blocking drill. It was highlighted by a Woody Quinn vs. Derrick Brodus match up. Other match ups were Geraldo Orta vs. Alden Hill, LaTroy Lewis vs. Austin Sanders, Kyler Kerbyson vs. Lewis, Ethan Wolf vs. Neiko Creamer, Jaylen Miller vs. Dylan Wiesman and Marcus Jackson vs. Jordan Williams.

From the offense…*—Marlin Lane was nearly a full go. He did not participate in drills which needed his left hand. He still has a hard cast on that hand.

—Lane and Hill rotated as the first-team running back during walk-throughs.

—Justin Worley got the first helping of first team reps and was replaced by Nathan Peterman. Riley Ferguson and Joshua Dobbs both saw work with the second and third teams.

—The offense spent the walk-through period installing several end-around and reverse plays, which more often than not ended with the ball in Von Pearson’s hands. Josh Smith also saw several end-around handoffs with the second team.

—Ethan Wolf took first and second team reps split out wide. Daniel Helm worked exclusively with the third team.

From the defense…—Curt Maggitt worked with the defensive linemen for the entire practice.

—Jason Carr and Malik Brown did not participate and wore only helmets during practice.

—The defense worked on its nickel package for most of the walk-through period. The first team featured Maggitt and Corey Vereen at defensive end, A.J. Johnson and Jalen Reeves-Maybin at linebacker, Justin Coleman as the nickel, and Emmanuel Mosely and Cameron Sutton as the corners.

—The second team defensive line saw Jaylen Miller and Lewis at defensive end, with Allan Carson and Dimayra Mixon serving as the tackles.

—Malik Foreman worked exclusively as the second-team nickelback.**

More highlights. It may just be me, but in this video it looks like Hurd is only going around half or 3/4 speed in these drills.

Object moved

On Tennessee’s roster, Curt Maggitt is listed as a linebacker.

But putting one position next to Maggitt’s name is far too restricting.

If Tuesday’s practice is any indication, Tennessee coaches will be asking Maggitt to slide down to defensive end often in the approaching 2014 season.

Maggitt, who said earlier this spring that he’s finally back at full strength after tearing his ACL in 2012 and sitting out all last season, spent the entire practice working with the defensive linemen.

He also played defensive end as the Vols walked through plays in their nickel formation, which features five defensive backs and two linebackers on the field.

Even Maggitt – never one to pat himself on the back – admits the term “playmaker” is perhaps a better way to describe his role with Team 118.

“I feel good,” Maggitt said. “Whatever they want me to do, I’m down to do it.”

While Maggitt said the adjustment has been “tough” at times, it’s not completely new territory.

Maggitt saw double duty at defensive end and linebacker during his sophomore year and logged an impressive sack-fumble with his hand on the ground during Tennessee’s season opener against North Carolina State.

“It hasn’t been a real big adjustment since I had my hand down before,” Maggitt told InsideTennessee. “Just got to get this work in.”

Some work is needed. Maggitt admits there’s a little rust and needs some time to get acclimated again.

The 6-foot-3, 244-pounder said he’s focused on perfecting “the little things” – including his stance, hand placement and get off - during Tennessee’s final nine spring practices.

“I’ve been getting extra film in with the coaches, you know,” Maggitt told IT. “Just trying to correct the little mistakes and clean my game up.”

Jones agrees that Maggitt is still adjusting and going through a “learning process,” but adds that he’s confident Maggitt will grow into “a force” with time.

“He knows his assignments. He knows what to do. But now it’s putting it into action,” Jones said. “…He’ll come. He’s extremity explosive. But it’s the small details – it’s the stance, it’s the start. He’ll get there.”

Maggitt seeing more time at defensive end also helps shore up a depleted defensive front, as the Vols are tasked with replacing all of its starters from last season.

Jones has emphasized the importance of improving Tennessee’s pass rush over and over this spring. Maggitt is optimistic the overhauled defensive line can “surprise” this fall with his help.

“I’m glad I’m down there with my dog (Corey) Vereen. It’s going to be good,” Maggitt told IT. “…It’s a challenge, but I’m up for it.”

MALONEMalone gaining momentum

Jones said the game has been moving fast for most of Tennessee’s 14 early enrollees, but one newcomer has been an exception.

Jones said freshman wideout Josh Malone has recently been playing faster and with more confidence.

“He’s coming of the football,” Jones said of Malone “… You can see the speed burst and acceleration now that we saw when we were recruiting him.”

Thomas showing signs

In front of the media and select onlookers, freshman offensive tackle Coleman Thomas had a tough first scrimmage serving as the Vols’ starting right tackle.

But behind closed doors at practices, there’s apparently been promising signs.

Maggitt said Thomas got him “pretty good” during a one-on-one blocking drill Tuesday.

Laughing, Maggitt said he “got him back” a few reps later.

Spring break blues?

According to players, a week of sun and relaxation during last week’s spring break didn’t lull Tennessee’s tempo as the team returned to the practice field for the first time Tuesday.

In fact, Tennessee guard Marcus Jackson tabbed the practice the most “up beat” outing of the spring.

“We got after it today,” Jackson said.

Maggitt agrees.

“We came out strong today,” he said. “We have tough practices, if we didn’t come out prepared we wouldn’t survive.”

But according to Jones, not all demonstrated the proper “mental toughness” after returning from break.

Jones said how his team returned to its football schedule following spring break would “speak volumes” about the team’s maturity. He was pleased with some and not with others.

“Overall, I did like our mental approach,” Jones said. “But there was a glaring difference between some individuals. … I thought it was a very productive practice, but we still have a long, long, long way to go.”

Jones did say he thought Tuesday was the Vols’ most physical practice to date.

Updates:— The usual bunch were in yellow no-contact jerseys: Brendan Downs, A.J. Branisel, Drae Bowles, Ryan Jenkins, Trevarris Saulsberry and Brian Randolph. Woody Quinn was the only Vol wearing a green jersey.

— No newcomer has their black stripe removed.

— Former Tennessee holder and wideout Tyler Drummer watched practice from the sideline. Joining him were several state troopers and police officers, some of whom held bags filled with what looked to be autographed Tennessee merchandise.

— After the stretching period, Butch Jones grabbed a football and set up a fourth-and-1, offense vs. defense drill. The offense won three of four reps. Here’s what happened in each: Justin Worley, working with the first team, scrambled off left tackle for the conversion. Nathan Peterman helmed the second team and gave to Jalen Hurd, who picked up the first down and then some up the middle. Worley took over again for the third try and rolled to his left, hitting Josh Malone for a big pickup. The defense’s only stop came on the last attempt, as a host of defenders stuffed running back Alden Hill for no gain.

From the offense…—Jacob Gilliam took over as the Vols’ starting left tackle for the entirety of media availability, which included walk-throughs, inside run drills and the frouth-and-1 drill at the beginning of practice. Otherwise, the first-team offensive line stayed the same. Blair worked with the second team.

— Guard Austin Sanders limped off the field favoring his left leg after the final rep of the fourth-and-1 drill. However, he returned with the offensive line later in practice and appeared to be okay.

—Marlin Lane still has a cast on his wrist, but he did participate in all drills during practice.

—The quarterback reps were divided the same way they have been all of spring: Worley with the first team, Peterman with the second and Riley Ferguson and Joshua Dobbs splitting third team reps.

—During walk-throughs, Von Pearson, Marquez North and Josh Malone served as the first-team wideouts. Daniel Helm worked as the tight end.

—Cody Blanc, Johnathon Johnson and Jason Croom were the second-team wideouts. Ethan Wolf worked as the tight end with that group.

—Tennessee showed several two-back formations featuring both Hurd and Lane in the backfield.

From the defense…*—Curt Maggitt again spent all of media availability working with the defensive line.

—The first team defense was unchanged, featuring A.J. Johnson and Jalen Reeves-Maybin as linebackers, Cameron Sutton and Emmanuel Moseley as the corners, Justin Coleman in the nickel and LaDarrell McNeil and Devaun Swafford at safety.

From special teams…—Punter Matt Darr had ups and downs during punt-team work, pinning some kicks inside the 10-yard line and having others sputter toward the sideline.

—The Vols spent an entire period working their kick off returners. Moseley, North, Pearson, Malone, Johnson, Lane and Devrin Young fielded kicks.**

Members online

No members online now.
Back