Wu's very own recruiting thread.

Sure hope you're right about Gentry (who I think ends up in Tejas) or I guess Nunez.

If Gibson goes OSU, Nunez will look around. They're not taking 2 and Fort says he likes us a lot. But you're right, it could get bad in a hurry

I'm not liking the Jennings to Auburn predictions.

VF15 said he's a Vol, though, and he would know.

Tennessee has a major weekend ahead as one of the top quarterbacks on the board, Scout four-star Zach Gentry, says he will visit and see the Volunteers scrimmage.

Gentry has been visited at his high school by Bajakian three times already, which has the right-hander from Albuquerque, N.M., impressed with the effort to land him. Two more programs entered the picture this week as both Nebraska and Texas offered. Gentry says he will fly into Knoxville early Friday alongside his father and plans to spend nearly the entire weekend seeing what Tennessee has to offer. It’s an extremely important trip for the Vols, who plan to sign two quarterbacks in the 2015 class. Gentry told IT this week that he is “excited” about the trip and has been looking forward to if for some time.

As we mentioned earlier this week in VolChat, expectations are for four-star cornerback Cameron Ordway and four-star defensive tackle Shy Tuttle to be on Rocky Top this weekend, too. Several of the signees from the 2014 class figure to be at Saturday's scrimmage as well. Linebacker Christopher Weatherd visited in February and is on track academically as long as his spring semester grade point average is 2.5 or better. Another linebacker, Gavin Bryant, is said to be doing well with the books and the lone concern presently is four-star defensive end Dewayne Hendrix, who may need much of the summer to get fully qualified.

Five-star Torrance Gibson arrived late Wednesday night and hung around until early Thursday afternoon. He has work to do before he could take over at QB for an SEC team, but he is undoubtedly one of the country’s premier athletes in the 2015 class. The FHSAA state champion recently visited Auburn, Clemson and LSU prior to Knoxville. The Tennessee plans came up after canceling a South Carolina trip. He is currently in Gainesville to check out the Gators. Look for Gibson to make a return trip to Rocky Top. He measured in at 6-foot-4 1/2, 198 pounds and laser-timed a 4.55 at the Orlando NIKE Football Training Camp.

A pair of in-state prospects timed faster in the same camp series as West High School and Knoxville native Nathan Cottrell has the top time thus far at 4.35 and Brentwood Academy wide receiver C.J. Sanders ran 4.53.

The “sudden change” that Butch Jones screams about on Haslam Field took on an different meaning with recruiting since the last Gate 21, most specifically at cornerback. Three targets —*Ugo Amadi (Ole Miss), Mark Fields (South Carolina) and Garrett Taylor (Michigan) —*all came off the board with verbal commitments. The staff may soon crank up the recruitment of Greater Atlanta Christian teammates Micah Abernathy and Darius Slayton.

Brian Cole is the top-rated junior prospect in Michigan and the No. 48 talent in the nation. The wide receiver says he will be visiting Tennessee soon. Remember, the number (at present) for wideout signees with the ’15 group is two total with three as a possibility if a third elite pass-catcher wants to sign. The staff has had rave reviews thus far for 2014 newcomers Josh Malone and Von Perason with excitement brewing for the arrival of Vic Wharton. However, assistant coach Zach Azzanni wants to play nine receivers a game to have fresh and able bodies running routes in Bajakian’s uptempo offense. Don’t count out walk-ons potentially helping with that count as former commit Kameel Jackson and former Virginia Cavalier Adrian Gamble are possibilities to join the team this summer.

A pair of wide receiver targets are on hand at Lassiter High School at the Atlanta NIKE Football Training Camp. Commit Preston Williams and target T.J. Rahming (teammate of Rochester’s) were among first to step up in every drill.

Scout national analyst Chad Simmons on Williams: “Everything about Williams lived up to his No. 1 receiver in the nation ranking. He's every bit of 6-4 and has good strength. The Tennessee commit toyed with cornerbacks off the line of scrimmage and he's unguardable on the edge with his size and leaping ability. He made a spectacular one-handed grab that made everyone look his way.”

Simmons on Rahming: “Rahming looked like a blur at times on the football field. He is more quick than fast and defensive backs had a hard time keeping up with him. He is a true slot receiver and he is small, but he is explosive. He left some defensive backs in a different area code Sunday.”

Keep an eye on Williams’ recruitment as few schools are going to simply wave the white flag but he did say he would sign with Tennessee today if he could. His being a January enrollee brings the finish line forward about a month.

A pair of Tennessee linebacker targets were on display in Atlanta. Simmons gave his assessment of Milton High’s Quarte Sapp and Macon County’s Roquan Smith.

On Sapp: “Sapp is long and lean and he impressed Sunday. He was fluid in coverage, he stayed with running backs down the field, and he can likely cover some receivers. His speed stood out as much as anything and his ability to stay on hips in coverage.”

On Smith: “Smith lined up at inside linebacker, but moved in space like an outside linebacker. He ran well, he was strong in coverage, and he was impressive when working the blitz in drills.”

Julian Rochester is a sophomore defensive tackle at McEachern High in Powder Springs, Ga., that already has a a Tennessee offer. He impressed IT analysts when we saw him in person last fall and did so again Sunday, though he has plenty of room to go.

Simmons on Rochester: “Rochester was a monster Sunday and he is currently only a sophomore. Some think he could project highest as an offensive tackle, but he continues to impress Scout on the defensive line. He just overpowers his opponents and he moves very well for his size.”

Sterling Johnson is Scout’s No. 18 defensive tackle in the 2015 class and resides in the Tar Heel State. The 6-4, 267-pounder told InsideCarolina this week that when he announces his top 12 in late April, the Vols will be on the list —*as will Alabama, Clemson, Florida, Florida State and North Carolina.

Four-star safety Jauan Jennings announced a top 6 that includes Tennessee. Look for the Murfreesboro resident to pull the trigger on a declaration on April 7. Jennings has spoken about wanting to play quarterback on the next level but is years away from being mechanically and mentally ready to do so. Some schools are recruiting him to play receiver, others safety and a few at signal-caller. He has raw skills that could make him a dynamic field general if he develops.

Tennessee will not stop pursuing the talents of four-star tight end Chris Clark now that he’s committed to North Carolina. Those close to his recruitment say Clark has still been “very receptive” to Tennessee and feel he is not “done yet.”*

However, with the Vols’ No. 1 tight end target off the board and with Bowman Archibald — another one of Tennessee’s top targets — committed to Miami, there are several new tight ends to keep an eye on. Four-star Hale Hentges of Jefferson City, Mo., isn’t a new name to watch, but he moves to the top of the board. Don’t be surprised if the Vols deal out several new tight end offers in the next few weeks. Sources say the staff plans to evaluate film of three-star prospects C.J. Conrad, Jake Pickard, C.J. O’Grady and Bry’Kiethon Mouton.*

One source said O’Grady, the nation’s No. 15 tight end target out of Arkansas, will be offered “soon.”

Three-star fullback Chandler Cox also will start hearing from the Vols more, as the staff views him as a tight end.*

IT has posted stories on every major junior runner the Tennessee staff is pursuing. A sophomore to definitely keep an eye on that has an offer after a recent visit is Robert Washington of SouthLake Christian Academy in North Carolina. He had this to say about the Vols:

“Tennessee’s coaches are really down to earth. They tell me what I need to do to get ready for college and they’re very informative. I talked to coach Butch Jones and he’s a really nice guy. But it was just a really good trip all the way around. My dad, my cousin (Aapri Washington) and my uncle walked around the campus, ate lunch with them, toured the facilities and watched film. It was an impressive place, and you can’t go wrong with that SEC brand. It’s a big pull for them.”

Keep an eye on*three-star defensive end Emmanuel Olenga of Charlotte, whose first offer recently came from Tennessee. The staff is fighting to add athleticism and length throughout the roster and Olenga is every bit of 6-4 and could play the Leo spot.

Portland, Tenn., offensive line product David Trammel knows he has a lot of work to do in order to land a coveted DI scholarship offer. His 6-foot-6, 289-pound frame is sturdy, but it takes more than size to stay afloat in the SEC. Again, he knows that too. But Trammel, who visited Tennessee Tuesday, said he works every day with the orange and white on his mind. Saying Tennessee is his dream offer is almost an understatement.*

“Tennessee is what I want. I’ll be attending camps and all that all around this summer with that Tennessee offer in mind. I want that more than anything. It’s all I could ever ask for. It’s the dream,” Trammel told IT. “If I could get an offer from Tennessee, I think I would honestly cry because its what I’ve worked my butt off for for the last six years. A lot of people tell me I can’t do it… I want to prove them wrong. I love this place. I want to be here so bad.”

So basically,

#DemVols lead for Torrance Gibson

#DemVols lead for Jauan Jennings

Zach Gentry said #DemVols have set the bar extremely high for other teams after his visit (btw, checked in at a cool 6'7", 230 lbs)

#DemVols are top group for Ricky DeBerry, Quarte Sapp, Darrin Kirkland, Mike Abernathy, Kyle Phillips, Sterling Johnson, Darian Roseboro, Tim Settle, Shy Tuttle, Kahlil McKenzie, Bryce Love, Rocky Reid, TJ Rahming, Van Jefferson, CJ Sanders, Austin Clark, Chuma Edoga, Tyree St. Louis, Mike Weber, Joseph Alabi, Nick Gibson, Emmanuel Olenga, Carl Tucker, Cam Ordway, Drew Richmond, Jordan Colbert, Quentez Johnson, Tyron Johnson, Brandt Mitchell, and many more...

And that's the bottome line, CUZ BUTCH MUHHFU$ IN JONES SAID SO

The QB situation is going to get really interesting.

Jennings will be a Vol, but who do they take if Gentry/Gibson/Nunez want to commit?

Members online

No members online now.
Back