GWN's Fitness Thread

Hey Breaz, I meant to ask earlier...did you go to Briarcrest?

I did not. I attended Harding. At the time we were oddly rivals with Briarcrest even though we never beat them in football and they never beat us at basketball. We pretty much split baseball. (We were also a volleyball powerhouse). Harding has since lost probably 75-80% of their enrollment due to poor leadership and shifting demographics in Memphis and have dropped down a division for sports which they do well in but should. I had a lot of friends at Briarcrest though.

I’m pretty well connected within all the private schools in Memphis and the GMSD public schools. North Mississippi (mainly Southaven) baseball programs as well.

I did not. I attended Harding. At the time we were oddly rivals with Briarcrest even though we never beat them in football and they never beat us at basketball. We pretty much split baseball. (We were also a volleyball powerhouse). Harding has since lost probably 75-80% of their enrollment due to poor leadership and shifting demographics in Memphis and have dropped down a division for sports which they do well in but should. I had a lot of friends at Briarcrest though.
Was curious. I have a student here now who was at Briarcrest probably a little after you, but not much. Was a baseball player so I thought I’d ask.

3 miles outside. More of a grind than I wanted it to be but felt good

BTW, if you can get your hands on the OG P90X Yoga, it’s very good.

I believe you’ve recommended this before. My flexibility has a long way to go before I can follow an actual yoga regiment

I never put much importance on flexibility my whole life even though I played sports 24/7 and got by on agility not size. My Sr year of HS I decided I would get super flexible for basketball. It helped but then I got in to baseball and immediately pulled a hamstring because I eased off the stretching thinking no big deal, I’m flexible now and I never stretched before.

Turns out the more flexible you are the more you have to stretch. Immediately gave up stretching and have had hamstring issues off and on ever since

I believe you’ve recommended this before. My flexibility has a long way to go before I can follow an actual yoga regiment

I never put much importance on flexibility my whole life even though I played sports 24/7 and got by on agility not size. My Sr year of HS I decided I would get super flexible for basketball. It helped but then I got in to baseball and immediately pulled a hamstring because I eased off the stretching thinking no big deal, I’m flexible now and I never stretched before.

Turns out the more flexible you are the more you have to stretch. Immediately gave up stretching and have had hamstring issues off and on ever since
It’s critical for me because of the compound lifts like deadlift, clean, and snatch that I do. My lower back and hips struggle badly if I don’t make a conscious effort towards improved mobility.

I’ve also found how extremely valuable a proper warmup is for me.

Just ran 3.5 miles

Went very well. Pleased off of Saturday’s performance

This morning:
Bench press
Dips/pull-ups combo
20 minutes on endless rope

Then a calisthenics/run PT session with the students this afternoon.

Yoga wednesay

Lot of leaves (cheating a little here) Thirsday

1.5 hours of basketball today

Looking forward to my Tuesday run. Gonna be more yoga tomorrow because I have a basketball game Sunday

Members online

No members online now.
Back