Wickman gives up lead again

braves guru

Denver — Seldom has a winning road trip seemed so unsatisfying or featured such a troubling ending as this Braves excursion. After closer Bob Wickman blew a two-run lead with his third consecutive ninth-inning meltdown, Matt Holliday's two-run homer off Steve Colyer in the 11th gave the Colorado Rockies a 9-7 win in the series finale Sunday at Coors Field. "It's kind of a tough one to swallow," said rookie first baseman Scott Thorman, who had career highs of four hits and four RBIs for the Braves.

More...

I know the bullpen has had a couple of rough outings lately, but it's crazy the number of cheap hits they have given up the last 3 or 4 games. I guess if they hadn't walked everybody yesterday though, it really wouldn't have mattered.

Cheap hits are the biggest difference between Coors and everywhere else, IMO, even more so than home runs. That's why it's so critical not to give up a bunch of walks -- the hits are going to fall in, so you don't want to have a bunch of free baserunners on when they do.

I thought that the whole pitching staff mostly did pretty well dealing with Coors, with the obvious exception of Wickman. And I have to admit that I'm a little worried that something might be wrong with his arm.

I'm the last guy to comment on anybody's physical conditioning, but Wickman really looks out of shape.

Here's why the players love Bobby. From today's AJC about Wickman:

The 38-year-old alluded to something preventing him from throwing strikes but wouldn't elaborate or give any indication whether he was in pain.

"We'll see," he said. "Tough question to answer right now. It's pretty unusual for me not to throw strikes. I'm concerned.

"I don't think I'm afraid of any hitters. I think when I do throw strikes I don't get hit hard, so it's not a fact of being afraid or anything. I just can't get the ball to home plate right now."

Manager Bobby Cox was asked if he would consider dropping Wickman from closer duties, even temporarily. Setup man Rafael Soriano has been dominant under pressure, with one hit allowed in 28 at-bats in close-and-late situations.

"No, not at all," Cox said. "We may have to rest him tomorrow; he threw 20-some pitches. But no, not at all. My god, he's been lights-out until he got here."

Uh, Bobby, if he's sitting there SAYING HE CAN'T THROW STRIKES RIGHT NOW, then do you think maybe he needs to work that out in something other than the closer's role??

Members online

No members online now.
Back