Redman No Longer a Brave

It's been a long time since I was so glad to hear that a player was released.

Devine has not been a starter in the minors, so I guess Lerew will keep the #5 slot in the rotation for now.

It's been a long time since I was so glad to hear that a player was released.

Devine has not been a starter in the minors, so I guess Lerew will keep the #5 slot in the rotation for now.

Lerew was placed on the dl after his last start

Oh yeah, I forgot. Didn't get to watch that much of the games this weekend.

It'll be interesting to see whom they call up. I don't know who else might be ready down there to earn a look.

This right here is why the players love Bobby and us fans sometimes want to throw rocks at him:

Redman was 0-4 with a 10.62 ERA in five starts before going on the disabled list with an ingrown toenail. His return Saturday went poorly -- he gave up a grand slam to Boston's Mike Lowell in 1-1/3 innings of relief -- and manager Bobby Cox said afterward he didn't see anything different from Redman.

He informed the left-hander about his release Monday.

"I still wanted to give him one more shot, you know," Cox said. "The deal was to go down [to Richmond] for four or five starts for 30 days and get it together and come back, but we needed somebody [during the weekend series against Boston] to stand by for [Anthony] Lerew and [John] Smoltz, in case they couldn't pitch. And I thought it was only fair that he be the guy; he's spent all these years in the major leagues. And it just didn't pan out."

Everybody could tell he was done; the sentence in bold indicates that Cox himself had to know he was done, too. But he was still as loyal as possible to this veteran guy who'd only been on the roster since late March. He just felt like he had to give him one more shot at it. It drives you crazy occasionally, but that's why the players love him.

Members online

Back