2014 Braves Roster (if the season started tomorrow)

ScHoolboy Z

Obviously this will change, but just because I want to talk some Braves.

C Evan Gattis
1B Freddie Freeman
2B Dan Uggla
3B Chris Johnson
SS Andrelton Simmons
LF Justin Upton
CF B.J. Upton
RF Jason Heyward

I highly doubt Dan will be with Atlanta on Opening Day. Other than that, I believe everything else is set.

C Gerald Laird.
1B/OF Joey Terdoslavich
IF Ramiro Pena
IF Elliot Johnson
OF Jordan Schafer

I like the bench except for Elliot Johnson, and would love to add a RH OF bat to replace Reed Johnson. I wouldn't be surprised if Terdoslavich starts in Triple A and the Braves sign a corner infielder, but I still think Joey T can be a solid bench bat at the MLB level

SP Kris Medlen
SP Mike Minor
SP Julio Teheran
SP Brandon Beachy
SP Alex Wood

I think Wood is a guarantee to be in the rotation next year. Beachy is the question mark. Can he come back and be healthy next year? That's a huge question mark. Also, will Atlanta had a veteran to eat innings? Or somehow find an ace on the market? I bet it's the former. David Hale will probably be the designated "sixth starter" for 2014.

LH Ryan Butcher
LH Luis Avilan
RH Corey Gearrin
RH Cristhian Martinez
RH David Carpenter
RH Jordan Walden
CL Craig Kimbrel

Carpenter, Walden, Avilan, and Killa Craig are the only guarantees right now IMO. I doubt Gearrin and Martinez start on the 25 man, especially with Cristhian's shoulder injury last year. Butcher might be a filler till Venters comes back (if he can). I wonder if EOF will be re-signed, but I doubt. I bet the Braves add one more reliever and probably two relievers that will be on the 25 man.

We will definitely stretch hale and wood out in ST, but wouldn't surprise me if whoever loses that 5th spot ends up in the bullpen to open the year.

We will definitely stretch hale and wood out in ST, but wouldn't surprise me if whoever loses that 5th spot ends up in the bullpen to open the year.

I think Wood is too good to leave out. He had his struggles and his mechanics are scary but he has some nasty stuff.

Any farm guys to keep an eye on next year?

JR Graham is probably the top guy without big league experience that's closest to the big leagues. Missed much of last season with a shoulder injury. Throws straight gas. Might end up as Kimbrel jr but they're going to keep him a starter as long as he holds up/proves effective. I would be surprised if we don't see him at some point during the 2014 season, probably in the bullpen (knock on wood SP health).

Lucas Sims is young, but probably the best thing going for us as far as SP prospect. Doesn't turn 20 until May. 2-3 years away.

I like Jason Hursh's ceiling if his health holds up and he can make it as a starter. Older than Sims but less pro experience given he went to college. Also had TJ already I believe.

I'm glad we've moved toward adding some power arms and away from the Minor's and Gilmartin's of the world. Hopefully that's a trend that continues.

Mauricio Cabrera is a name to file away. He's very raw but has good stuff.

They aren't really any bats to speak of or be excited about. Tommy La Stella has an outside shot at starting 2b spot. Great on base skills, little to nothing else. Christian Bethancourt is an absolute monster behind the plate. Great arm and great athleticism. Made some strides at the plate in the second half last season, but has a little more ways to go.

Venters deal was for 1.625M and Pena 700k

I really hope we sign Andrew Bailey if his asking price is in the "take a flier" range

Glad to see the Braves pick up one more year of Venters. Although he should be terrified.

Members online

No members online now.
Back