Andruw Jones next year?

14straight

this is what mark bowman thinks from mlb.com

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/...t_id=1938605&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

assuming andruw is not wearing a braves uniform next year, i wonder what they will do with the extra money?
i would hope to pick up a quality starting pitcher and not grossly overpay him...which these days may be impossible. it will be even better after 08 when we escape hampton's obsurd salary. what do you guys think?

Proven starting pitching is such a commodity that not overpaying for it is, as you say, nearly impossible. And, with a few exceptions, pitchers' careers are so much more up and down than quality hitters' that it almost never makes sense to sign them to deals of longer than three years. A long-term contract for a pitcher usually turn to be an albatross by the end of it.

ASSUMING Andruw is gone -- and I'm not totally bereft of hope on that score, although it doesn't look good -- I'd guess I'd like to see them spend the money on another outfielder who can hit with power. A leadoff hitter would be nice, but the Braves' offense will be in trouble next year if Andruw is gone and they don't find a way to at least partially replace his home runs.

in a perfect world i would like to see hampton come back healthy(finally) next year and at least still have decent stuff. a rotation of smoltz-hudson-hampton-james-davies would be pretty strong but thats just wishful thinking.

i imagine they plan on francoer continuing to improve and eventually hitting in the 3 or 4 spot although i don't know if he will be ready next year, but i must say his plate discipline looks 10 times better so far this year...until then they will probably have to go out and like you said spend some money on a cleanup hitter

I see them letting jones go use a younger talent, and use the money for another arcade for turner field

jk ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back